10 thoughts you have during a Flywheel classOctober 20, 2015
I’ve been doing Flywheel on and off for the last three years (eg I stopped when I was pregnant – any excuse – and when I’m skint it’s a bit of a luxury) and love to hate it. For the uninitiated, it’s basically spinning, but in a pitch black room, with amazing music and a much more competitive vibe. I think it’s pretty fair to call it a cult. In a nice, neon Lycra-clad way.
In my darker moments during a session my brain tries to escape; I’ve had full-blown fantasies about unclipping my shoes and going next door for a Costa, and I don’t even drink coffee. This is what goes through my mind in most classes…
- This is it. The answer to my weight loss woes. 45 minutes of pure, calorie burning awesomeness. I’m a new woman in my new leggings.
- Just going to scope out the other riders and check my form in the mirror while the lights are still on. Oh dear – side profile in the new leggings is not a good look.
- Is that girl just wearing a sports bra? I’m 15 years too old for this. Please turn the lights off NOW.
- We’re sprinting. We’re hitting 100. I think my legs might fall off. Oh god, I think I can smell the wine I drank last night.
- Who was it that just whooped way too loudly? What a pillock.
- We’re climbing. I think I’m going to black out.
- My song! I love this song! Good grief, I was just singing loudly without realising it.
- I never knew this song was so long. I HATE this song.
- Time for arms. Must not hit myself in the face with my weight. Ouch.
- Never doing that again. How many calories did I burn? Wow. Okay. That was worth the puce face I’ll have for the next three hours.
Illustration by Pin Dippy